Friday 17 April 2009

Thursday 16.4.09


A remarkable thing happened today. I will always, always remember it. It ranks with getting married, the birth of my children, and my O'level maths result.


On this day at 3.15pm, H asked me if we could go shopping to buy her a dress. I need to write that down again: H asked me to buy her a dress.


Dear H developed strong views about clothes from the age of 2, and since that time, bar borrowing a dress of Nina's for a wedding and for Nina's 18th, she has been strictly trousers. I have a lovely memory of Holly starting school and me suggesting we buy her a little gingham summer dress, "But people will see my legs" she said. Well, who could argue with that?


So now, she's 15 with an economical, preppy style that gives a nod to fashion. While her collection of Etnies style shoes is expansive, I've never known her to buy an item of clothing that she didn't wear to death. She doesn't buy cheap, neither does she browse much. The simplicity of her system defies belief, she should publish it, but it wouldn't be popular, it would put Primark out of business.


Is this the start of a new phase of embracing florals, frills, even glitter? I can't wait to find out. Kids can be so exciting. Although, expensive.

No comments: