Monday 20 April 2009

Friday 17.4.09


Drove H, Nina & her friend A over to Stafford today. Holly has been liking some of the Richard Herring DVD's I've been into, so I thought I would see Headmaster's Son one more time, and take A for a Birthday treat, because I thought he might like it as well. Nina had to come too, because she's Nina.


I had never been to Stafford before. All that struck me was the quietness on a Friday night. There was no noise from pubs, we couldn't find a takeaway, there was no rubbish on the streets. It took a bit of time to find the venue, a grand old civic building, well renovated, that seemed too big for the town. The staff were amazing, friendly and welcoming. Thankfully, we were able to buy the few sandwiches left over from lunch. So we talked nonsense while the place filled up around us.


I'm reluctant to say how much I like Headmaster's Son. I'm on my third go now, and find more in the material each time. I'm sad that this had to be the last time I saw it, but it would just be silly to see it again. Tonight's was the strongest performance of the three, and no one walked out. I was seated amongst people who were enjoying it, which made the experience all the better. There was a sense of the fabulous alchemy that can happen between a performer and an audience. It was great that A seemed to enjoy it too. Nina, H & A all found the second half more difficult, but this is unsurprising given that it is about how past and future meld and they haven't got a past yet. For me, the second half is the best of it, although I agree there are fewer laughs.


We went home via McDonalds as A requested. Once we were back home, Nina went out again to go drinking. I tried not to feel resentful, and gave her a lift. Then I had a bad feeling about her being out, as though something would go wrong, so I waited up. this was stupid, as she was fine and got in at 2.30am sober and cheerful.

No comments: