Friday 31 December 2010

Hippie New Year

The last hours of 2010 are ticking away, and I’m up against a deadline.  I said I’d do a round-up post like the rest of blogland. I don’t feel like it. I’ve been reading other people’s and it’s bringing me down. Seems as though we’ve all had a mixed year and we’re a bit scared of the one coming up. I’ll say that’s how it is for me too, and leave it at that.

Yesterday, Nina took me to a hippie party celebrating the work of people who volunteer to work with sanctuary seekers, and who mend bikes for poor people.  There was a wood-burning stove, and  Quaker posters on the walls. I spied a vegetarian buffet and ate some boozy trifle. I wasn‘t a party animal in my youth, and  my awkwardness around strangers amplified when I was unwell so that social occasions became impossible. I’ve been well for a long time now, and yet I still worry that I’ll make an arse of myself with my inability of make small talk. I’m going to be on placement at the hospital soon, so I thought I should get some practice in. As it turned out, I did OK. Nina was in her element, and I was touched that people were so nice about her. This seemed genuine, and not just politeness. Someone said about Nina to his wife ‘she’s got such a nice way about her with the shelter users.’ Puffed up with pride, I took my saintly daughter out into the damp night (at last snow free).

We got KFC on the way home because we love hippie types, but we are not really of them. Also because KFC is delicious.

Happy New Year lovely blog reader, hope 2011 brings you all that you need, and a bit of what you want.

By the way, if you need cheese, I have loads left-over.

x

No comments: