Monday 15 November 2010

Joy of Ladyfest and post feminist comedown

The weekend was something special. I went with H and her girlfriend to Ladyfest Ten. It’s over now, so there seems little point writing about how wonderful it was, how warm people were towards each other, the openness and the friendship amongst strangers. They only happen now and again, and I’ve no idea how they happen ( but there must be a shedload of work involved). If you see a Ladyfest happening, just go try it.


I met some people from the Craftivist Collective. We talked activism and the practicalities of making up the Peace Quilt.
I went to a session on using listening and sound in writing, at the end of which I wrote three cathartic paragraphs about taking blood pressure. It’s a skill that had been playing on my mind (hearing the sounds is not as easy as anyone might suppose). Since doing that tiny bit of writing, I’ve had more confidence. How strange is my brain?
There was a bit of a discussion about health and sexuality, let by a very inspiring feminist nurse/midwife.
H, her girlfriend and I got together for the last session, a film and discussion on abortion rights led by Education For Choice, which reminded me of how ignorant I am and how much I take forgranted.

After that, came an evening of female comics, and an unusual craving for crisps. They were fabulous, and that’s both the comedians and the posh salteds.

I knew Uni might feel anti-climactic come Monday, but I had no idea how rubbish it would be. I’ve done the crying about what happened and the ranting about it, I’ve eaten my feelings along with some bad poundshop chocolates. My lovely friends have offered solace. I don’t feel able to give details here because there are all sorts of rules about conduct that include social networking. It’s the first time I’ve wanted to write about something on my blog and haven’t been able to. I have only this to send to Viz Top Tips: Weather too cold to humiliate yourself by walking naked along the ring road? Attract notice, laughter and disdain by sitting in a University lecture. No stripping or speaking required, just bring your face.

No comments: