Wednesday 24 November 2010

Arts and Craftivism

I put up my first craftivist collective mini protest banner. The kids helped me tie it up on the wall outside Oxfam. It says ‘think global act local’. I’m quite proud and hope that the Oxfam staff and customers notice it and are encouraged by it. Sometimes we can only do small things, but small things are good. It was quite a buzz as I was slightly worried I would get arrested for littering, my imagination conjuring scenarios of handcuffs being snapped over my wrists and me shouting ‘But officer, it isn’t illegal to cross stitch’ and the officer replying ‘It‘s legal in private, but not in a public place where children can see it. You disgust me, your sort…’ Luckily, my protest passed off peacefully.


I also got around to sending a bundle of fabric off to the London craftivists who are going to swap me for a handful of mini protest banner kits. Maybe I can get some people together to form a Coventry group.



On our way home, we came across a tree stump wrapped in Christmas paper. Down the road was a wrapped up bench. It was a beautiful thing to see on a gloomy day, and we stood about taking pictures. Along came the group of artists from Coventry University who had been out making the art, we had a lovely chat with them. They have plans for a website, but it isn’t ready yet.

It’s been a lovely few days. Nina came home to do her first research project and we’ve been chatting, lunching, spoiling and being spoilt. Tomorrow, she’s back to Uni, and I’m not going to miss her. Much.

No comments: