Wednesday 29 April 2009

Monday 27.4.09


Today was a day out to end days out. There were lots of good bits, but I'm not sure I'd want another one. If there's a lesson I need to learn its not to overdose on travel sickness pills.


Got up extremely nervous about the possibility of being sick on the coach, in the light of which , I ate nothing and took four travel sickness pills. I expected the pills to be only moderately effective, I've never had side effects from any drug so I wasn't expecting any. We got on the full coach, I plugged in my mp3 player, and started to doze off. I woke up a couple of times, delighted not to be feeling sick, and thinking that the coach was lovely, wasn't it good that I would be refreshed after my nap?


Once we got to London Victoria, Nick and I got some lunch. The afternoon's activity was his choice, so we were going to the Science Museum. I was feeling a bit groggy, and thought a bit of a walk would perk me up. Nick looked at the map and said we could walk if I liked. It was a bit of a miscalculation. We walked through the first rainy day in two weeks. Exhaustion and foul temper set in. I was blaming Nick and inwardly worrying that I seemed to be loosing the ability to walk in the way that an over-tired toddler will. Every parent knows, you have to bring the buggy with you, for the eventuality. Unfortunately, Nick wasn't expecting to do this for me.


I don't remember much about the Science Museum. I walked to each floor with Nick, sat on a bench, and fell asleep. Attempts to wake myself with hot tea and sugary food failed. I slept through the waitress clearing my table in the cafe.


We took the tube over to Piccadilly, and I did wake up a bit. We wondered around China Town, ending up in a tiny cellar restaurant that was very good value, and nice with candles and serviettes and everything. Nick had been kind when I'd been stroppy, and we started to laugh about the sleepiness.


Frank Skinner's Credit Crunch Cabaret was excellent. Nick hadn't been to a West End Theatre, and we were up high with all the gold leaf and the chandelier, so the red velvet and all of that was goiing to his head. I'm glad he enjoyed it much better than he expected. The crowd were really up for it, and I was seated next to two nice looking youngish men, which always helps a night along.
I was pleased that Frank was as good as I thought he would be. It was the first time I had seen him live, and because I like so much of his writing, and the DVD's and much (but not all) of his TV work, there was a lot riding on it for me. He was incredibly warm, quick thinking, and audience fed. There wasn't much of the artfully constructed stuff, but lots of newsy, people gags. If he ever tours a full show again, I want to go. Touchingly, he played George Fornby's Lamppost on the euke as a romantic encore for his girlfriend. The other acts all had something good about them. Lee Mac was funny and sharp in a kind of dad jokes way. I'm not sure that its my thing, but he's good. Miranda Hart seemed a bit under prepared, but had that spark of talent under the surface. Beardy Man, human beatbox was a lot of fun, and while I can't imagine going to a whole show, I was quite into what he did. It was all over too soon.


We got locked out of the coach station, and it was a long wait, but we were happy. Got home for 3am, my usual bedtime.

No comments: